Recipe and Description Under-the-cut!
I confess to feeling only a half-ironic sense of grandiose invention for doing something as simple as glowering into my netbook screen and scarfing half of a recipe’s chocolate chips down my throat while pittering around the kitchen. No doubt partially stemming from my self-justification for indulgent a foodie habit at 4:00am with an pyjama palhanco helping me at the mixing bowl: “It’s just edible chemistry!”. I have to remind myself there’s really very little scientific value at hand when a kafuffle of bulk barn chocolate bags are being eyed-over.
You can still pretend your attending to affairs of utmost significance while enjoying the fact your meticulous hobby allows you to be a control-queen for a half hour or so - and here’s the weekly excuse; Banana-Peanutbutter cookies!
These are soft, cakey and pack a refreshing blend of the timeless fruit-spread combo that wins the hearts of millions in overprivledged first world countries everywhere on a 9-5 basis daily: I’ll take 25.
2 1/4 cups
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup lard
3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ripe medium banana, mashed
(Optional Garnishes: Peanut-butter stuffed Chocolate Easter Eggs, Nutella, Peanutbutter, Chocolate chips, Pralines and/or Cinnamon sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a cookie tray with baking sheet
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together peanut butter, butter, lard and sugar untill well combined. Add in vanilla, egg and mashed banana untill near-smooth.
3. Add dry ingredients in three sections (mix with a large spoon do not over-mix). Freeze dough for 1-2 hours.
4. - For Triple Chocolate cookies: place 1 half-spoonful of nutella in dough, covered by PB-Chocolate Egg. Cover with another half-spoonful and roll inside dough untill completely covered.
- For Praline cookies: Press thumb into a circle of cookie dough. Fill with one spoonful of peanut-butter, and one nutella. Add nuts around the edges. Swirl with a toothpick when baked.
- Otherwise, roll cookies into golf-balls and flatten slightly
Bake for 12-15 minutes. Leave to cool covered by a piece of bread overnight (so cookies stay soft - the flavours in this cookie take time to settle!)
Inspired by!: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Peanut-butter-banana-chocolate-chip-cookies-333413